Sunday, May 26, 2024
More

    Latest Posts

    Where is Hollywood Maryland Located?

    Hollywood, Maryland is an unincorporated community in St. Mary’s County, Maryland, United States. It was named after a storeowner at Thompson’s General Store in Hollywood’s Uniontown neighborhood who required a name for the store’s post office in 1867. The store owner named the post office Hollywood because of the large holly tree planted in front of it.

    One of Hollywood’s most noteworthy structures is the congregation of St. John Francis Regis Catholic Church, which was founded in 1690. The region also includes the nationally known Sotterley Plantation, which is located on the banks of the Patuxent River.

    Sotterley was founded in 1703 by wealthy planter James Bowles and later went through the hands of former Maryland Governor George Plater and Louisa Satterlee (J.P. Morgan’s daughter) and her husband.
    In the town is also Resurrection Manor, a recently demolished manor house thought to have been built in 1640 by Thomas Cornwallis, the grandson of General Lord Cornwallis, who surrendered to George Washington there at the Battle of Yorktown during the American Revolutionary War.

    Hollywood, Maryland

    Today, Hollywood is a small rural community with vast fields of soybeans, corn, hay, grains, wheat, and tobacco, among other crops. It is now an industrial park containing Northrop Grumman and other companies’ branch offices.

    A training and conference center for engineers is located at the nearby Patuxent River Naval Air Station. There are various ways that go to the coast of the Patuxent River. The Commissioners of St. Mary’s County have direct jurisdiction over Hollywood, which is a new town.
    Hollywood Elementary School, located on Joy Chapel Road in Hollywood, is divided into multiple “houses,” each of which focuses on a different culture from across the world. Hollywood is also home to St. John Francis Regis Catholic School.

    St. John’s School was founded on September 12, 1923, under the guidance of Rev. Joseph M. Johnson, S.J. Grades one through four were taught in the sacristy of the church, with grades five through eight taught in a second story chamber above the sacristy.

    From the 1920s to the 1980s, the school was staffed by the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, Kentucky. On May 20, 1924, the white frame portion of the school was completed as a four-room classroom structure.
    On June 15, 1952, a masonry expansion with two classrooms, an auditorium, and a full basement was completed. After a portion of the auditorium was partitioned to create two additional classrooms, the remaining space was converted to a library.

    Also READ: Who is the real inventor of movies?

    Latest Posts

    Don't Miss